Floresville Awards Contract for Event Center Repairs
Gregory Ripps | Wilson County News | September 2, 2015
(Revised 9/4/15) Roof leaks and mold in the Lauro G. De Leon III Floresville Event Center will be fixed, after Floresville City Council members decided to award a contract for repairs during their Aug. 27 meeting.
STI General Contractors of San Antonio got the job, upon the recommendation of M&S Engineering, which handled the selection process. The work will include repairs to the roof and the building “envelope” and will address mold and other water-related issues. The repairs will cost $830,000, which will come from funds received in a legal settlement with the event center’s original builder. Floresville City Manager Henrietta Turner said approximately $855,000 remained of the $875,000 settlement after funds were spent for interim air conditioning repairs.
Jonathan Houston of M&S said that he “repeatedly” emphasized that STI avoid any interruption in event center activities. March 1, 2016, is the deadline for completion of the repairs.
Council members also approved a budget amendment to authorize $120,000 for M&S for the company’s services.
In other action, council members:
- Tabled approval of the Aug. 13 minutes until a question is answered on whether the mayor pro tem can vote while presiding over a council meeting in the mayor’s absence.
- Approved the non-annexation development agreement for owners of agricultural property identified for city annexation.
- Extended until Oct. 20 the deadline for the landowners to sign the agreement and to pre-designate blocks of their property for possible development and subsequent annexation.
- Approved a city employment handbook, effective Oct. 1, which includes stricter limitations on accumulating sick leave and vacation days.
- Approved disbursement of $1,250 of hotel-motel tax revenues to the Wilson County Road Runners for an Oct. 3 event.
- Approved a new agreement with the WIC (Women Infants Children) nutrition program for continued use of the city building at 1104 D St.