M&S Engineering, LLC is seeking a qualified Survey Technician at our Woodlands, Texas location to provide support to surveyors and survey crew at the direction of the Survey Party Chief.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Compile data necessary to stake projects for construction using engineering plans.
- Adjust and operate surveying instruments such as prisms, theodolites, and electronic distance-measuring equipment.
- Run rods for benches and cross-section elevations.
- Position and hold the vertical rods, or targets, that the theodolite operators use for sighting in order to measure angels, distances, and elevations.
- Record survey measurements and descriptive data, using notes, drawings, sketches, and linked tracings.
- Perform calculations to determine earth curvature corrections, atmospheric impacts on measurements, traverse closures and adjustments, azimuths, level runs, and placement of markers.
- Conduct surveys to ascertain the locations of natural features and human-made structures on the Earth’s surface, underground, and underwater, using electronic distance-measuring equipment and other surveying instruments.
- Search for section corners, property irons, and survey points.
- Operate and manage land-information computer systems, performing tasks such as storing data, making inquiries, and producing plots and reports.
- Set out and recover stakes, marks, and other monumentation.
- Lay out grids and determine horizontal and vertical controls.
- Compare survey computations with applicable standards in order to determine adequacy of data.
- Collect data needed to carry out new surveys, using source maps, previous survey data, photographs, computer records, and other relevant data.
- Prepare topographical and contour maps of land surveyed, including site features and other relevant information such as charts, drawings, and survey notes.
- Perform manual labor, such as cutting brush for lines, carrying stakes, rebar, and other heavy items, and stacking rods.
- Maintain equipment and vehicles used by surveying crews.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Survey/Mapping or equivalent experience.
- Able to perform well with minimal supervision in a team environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in Electrical Utility Survey is a plus.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D and Microstation.
- Knowledge of overhead and underground utilities, including power lines, is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of total station, GPS and data collection, with the ability to adapt to new equipment and technologies is a plus.
- Ability to work outside in all seasons for extended periods of time. This position requires both inside and outside work.
- Ability to travel overnight to various parts of Texas and surrounding states.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record required. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Employer paid health insurance
- 401k retirement plan with employer match
- Paid holidays
- Earned vacation time
About M&S Engineering:
M&S Engineering is a full-service engineering firm headquartered in Spring Branch, Texas. M&S employs more than 140 professionals in four locations who are adept in the areas of civil, electrical, and sub-surface utility engineering, surveying, and hydrology. In addition, designers in the fields of mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), structural, roadways, land development, and reservoirs contribute to the extensive array of services M&S provides its clients.