Senior Distribution Designer
Desired candidate will be responsible for detailed physical designs for overhead and/or underground distribution power line projects up to 69kV. The candidate will design and plan the construction of overhead and underground power distribution facilities for the purpose of transmitting power from electrical distribution points to end consumers in urban and rural areas.
Prepare specification for materials, permits and drawings that will be needed during construction along with their estimated quantities and costs.
Makes complex electrical computations to determine the size, type and number of pieces of equipment needed such as transformers, circuit breakers, switches, and lightning arresters. The candidate will compute sag and stress for specifications of wire and cable located on poles; plan layouts for overhead distribution lines and provide duct bank, vault locations and siting of underground cable routes; solve normal electrical distribution problems such as determining height, location, spacing, guying requirements, and insulation level required of distribution facilities.
The candidate will provide support and technical direction to field construction personnel during construction of projects as needed.
Other duties include providing direction and guidance to CAD designers as needed; developing and preparing proposals and cost estimates; evaluating customer requests and consulting utility clients in electrical distribution solutions as needed. Responsible for handling multiple projects and providing a detailed design package that complies with applicable distribution engineering design standards and all safety codes.
Desired Skills and Experience
Under minimal supervision and with increased latitude for un-reviewed work in the area of expertise will provide:
- Technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems
- Conducts engineering and related studies
- Coach and mentor other Designer classifications
- Effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities
- Thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, drawings and sketches
- Continuous improvement of job-related, technical and professional knowledge, skills and performance
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Accurate records and files
- Support of the company’s goals and represents the company positively and professionally
- 10 or more years’ experience in overhead and underground distribution design and/or construction in the utility industry
- Basic proficiency in AutoCad and/or Microstation
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Work independently
- Team-Oriented and able to build a remote team
- Customer Oriented
- Able to manage multiple tasks and provide leadership to other team members
- Skilled in principles of project management and customer service
About M&S Engineering
M&S Engineering is a full-service electrical and civil engineering firm whose mission is to provide our clients with quality, efficient electrical and civil services at the greatest overall value. With registered engineers in both electrical and civil engineering disciplines, M&S can fully meet the needs of its clients by allowing them to engage a single firm for all of their design, planning, and analytical needs. M&S staff is experienced in multiple disciplines including road design, water and wastewater design, drainage and flood management, structural analysis and design, MEP services, as well as electrical utilities design including substation, distribution and transmission line design. This range of services is provided for clients in all industries throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana and Oklahoma. The combination of in-house communication and technological prowess, have made M&S Engineering one of the most respected and sought after firms in the region.