M&S Engineering, LLC is seeking a qualified Survey Helper at our Woodlands, Texas location to provide support to surveyors and survey crew at the direction of the Survey Party Chief.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Assist and help surveyors in performing field surveys.
- Adjust and operate surveying instruments such as prisms, theodolites, and electronic distance-measuring equipment.
- Position and hold the vertical rods, or targets, that theodolite operators use for sighting to measure angles, distances, and elevations.
- Conduct surveys to ascertain the locations of natural features and man-made structures on the Earth’s surface, underground, and underwater using electronic distance-measuring equipment and other surveying instruments.
- Place and hold measuring tapes when electronic distance-measuring equipment is not used.
- Collect information needed to carry out new surveys using source maps, previous survey data, photographs, computer records, and other relevant information.
- Run rods for benches and cross-section elevations.
- Perform manual labor, such as cutting brush for lines, carrying stakes, rebar, and other heavy items, and stacking rods.
- Maintain equipment and vehicles used by surveying crews.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience on a survey crew.
- Able to perform well with minimal supervision in a team environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to operate technical and electronic equipment.
- Experience in Electrical Utility Survey is a plus.
- Knowledge of overhead and underground utilities, including power lines, is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of total station, GPS and data collection, with the ability to adapt to new equipment and technologies is a plus.
- Ability to work outside in all seasons. This position requires both inside and outside work.
- Ability to travel overnight to various parts of Texas and surrounding states.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record required. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Employer paid health insurance
- 401k retirement plan with employer match
- Paid holidays
- Earned vacation time
About M&S Engineering:
M&S Engineering is a full-service engineering firm headquartered in Spring Branch, Texas. M&S employs more than 140 professionals in four locations who are adept in the areas of civil, electrical, and sub-surface utility engineering, surveying, and hydrology. In addition, designers in the fields of mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), structural, roadways, land development, and reservoirs contribute to the extensive array of services M&S provides its clients.